I was born and raised on Cape Cod, MA. I used to play in cranberry bogs for fun. Seriously! When I visited home earlier in the fall, my mom sent me back with tons of cranberries! Some of them hadn’t even been picked through:
But, with a little persistence in picking out all of those leaves and twigs, you can have this:
Cranberry Orange Bread
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 flax egg (1 Tbs flax meal and 3 tbs water, combined and allowed to sit for 5 minutes)
* juice of 1 large orange
* Zested peel of 1 orange
* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 3/4 cup water (+more if needed)
* 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine flax mixture, orange juice, zest, oil and water.
3. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add additional water if mixture is too thick to stir (this depends on how much juice you got out of your orange).
4. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
5. Spoon into a greased loaf pan or four mini-loaf pans.
6. Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour or until bread tests done.
7. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Of course, today is the last day of VeganMoFo. I didn’t make my goal of posting every weekday, but it did make me want to blog more. And you know what? I think I will.