I mentioned on my Facebook Page earlier today that I’m sick- just before Vida Vegan Con! That is why I didn’t post yesterday. I am doing this quick post right now, and I have a post to give you about the class I took at NGI yesterday, but that will have to wait. I’m resting up so that I can be in good shape to fly on Wednesday!
I’ve been making Watermelon-Cucmber salad for a few weeks now. Vegan Boyfriend came across this recipe a while back, but I made a few changes. Often salt will help to preserve food, but in this case I leave it out. Salt will cause liquid to precipitate out of cucumber, and I’d rather avoid this here. I make a up a big batch at the beginning of the week, and then eat it over the rest of the week- it keeps just fine.
I would also recommend making sure that your watermelon is very ripe. My most recent batch just wasn’t quite as good, as the watermelon was a little under ripe.
This recipe easily makes more. I base it on half of a small watermelon (or 1/4 of a large one), as I usually buy one that’s pre-cut/wrapped (I can’t eat a whole one by myself!). This can be easily doubled, tripled or more!
- One medium cucumber, seeded, or one English cucumber
- 3 cups cubed seeded watermelon (if you end up with the white immature seeds, that’s fine)
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 inch of ginger, grated or chopped
- a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, to taste
- Peel and cube cucumber.
- Remove from rind and cube watermelon, de-seed if necessary.
- Toss both in a bowl together. Add lime zest, lime juice, ginger and cayenne.
- Toss and serve!
By the way, if you were looking for the CNN Documentary “The Last Heart Attack” this evening (Sunday, 8/21/11), it will be airing on Saturday, 8/27/11 at 8PM and 11PM instead, due to coverage of the developments in Libya. It’s the documentary where President Bill Clinton talks about his vegan diet!
But I won’t be able to watch it, because I’ll be at Vida Vegan Con!