This is really nice on a crisp fall evening…
Wine Poached Apples
- 6 small apples, peeled, cored and cut in half
- 3 cups vegan white wine
- 2 cups water (more if necessary to submerge apples in your pan)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- peeled zest of 1 lemon (peeled in long slices)
- vegan whipped cream, cinnamon, toasted slices almonds for garnish
- Set the apples aside, and add all the other ingredients to a large, wide pot. Mix to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- Add apples to the liquid, arranged in a single layer and completely submerged (add more water if you have to).
- Simmer 20-25 minutes, until tender.
- Remove apples carefully from the liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Remove lemon zest strips and cinnamon sticks and set aside.
- Turn heat up to medium and continue to cook until it becomes a syrup. It will take a lot of time, but all of a sudden it gets all foamy and Poof! you have syrup.
- Arrange apple halves on a plate, garnish with lemon zest, whipped cream, cinnamon, almonds; drizzle with syrup.
You’ll have extra syrup left over; it tastes great over oatmeal or baked apples, too!