Happy Word Vegetarian Day and first day of Vegan Mo-Fo, everybody!
I’ve written before about trips to The Cinnamon Snail when it’s in Red Bank, NJ. Vegan boyfriend loves their sandwiches, and asked if I could re-create one. We tried it a few weeks ago, and then he declared that we needed to have an all-sandwich day, featuring that one- so, today we are. We just had it for lunch a little while ago, and we’ll be having it for dinner, as well.
This sandwich is inspired by the Lemongrass Five Spice Seitan Sandwich.
I’m a little afraid of the pink peppercorns that are used in five spice blends, so instead, I used white peppercorns and crushed red pepper. I’m not a huge fan of fennel, so I leave that one out.
I don’t have a recipe per se, but a method.
The bread is half of a demi-baguette from Trader Joe’s. Wasabi mayo is simply Veganaise mixed with wasabi to taste. I leave off the curried cashews (though I did try them once and they were good). The only real trick is the seitan.
You can do one of two ways:
- Make your own seitan: use your favorite seitan recipe, and add sliced stalks of lemongrass (part with purple only) and toasted five spices (see below) to the cooking broth or:
- Using your favorite store bought seitan, lay it in a pan and cover with some soy sauce and water, along with the lemongrass and five spices (see below) and bring to a simmer for a few minutes.
In both cases, you’ll want to sear the seitan in a pan just before you’re ready to put together the sandwich.
For the (sort of) five spice blend, you’ll need the following:
- 1 star anise
- 2-3 whole cloves
- a small stick of cinnamon, broken
- a few white peppercorns (black is okay too)
- a pinch of crushed red pepper
Then all you have to do is throw them in a hot dry skillet, toast them for a couple of minutes (they’ll start to smell good), and then crush them in a mortar with pestle. Then use as above!
It’s a really nice sandwich to have and impressive to any guests who like sandwiches!
Let the Mo-Fo-ing begin!
And stay tuned for a cookbook giveaway starting during the week!